Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

T.I.M.E: Twisted Ideas Miraculously Erased


Feeling decidedly better today. And I realize that “decide” is the key word there.

I awoke this morning, early, again (although, yes, I do realize that 6am is not that early for some people!), and as I was writing my Morning Pages, and staring at my clock, and writing "I have to figure out how to manage my time better, I spend 5 minutes grumbling out of bed, and 2 minutes heating up my coffee, and 15 minutes on my morning pages – though really they take 30, so I scrimp on days when there isn’t time..."

And I sort of went off on this vein, but somewhere in the middle I decided to simply take the full time it was going to take and write all three long-hand pages of my morning pages. Somewhere in there, I was struck with the thought that I have been treating time like I've treated money – addressing it from a place of scarcity instead of abundance. As something I have to struggle for and will never have enough of. When I was done with the pages, I stood up, and although technically this would be the moment in the morning where I would bolt a shower and stream out the door with wet hair, I said aloud, “I’m hungry.” … then I answered myself, “Then you should eat.”

And so I did. I cooked my eggs, like I’m known to do, and I sat and ate them and drank my cup of coffee, not at a brunch-y leisurely pace, but not shoveling them down either. Something had unlatched in the region of my guts, and I was consciously reminding myself to breathe, and that I was giving myself this time. “There is enough time, There is enough love, There is enough money” are some affirmations my little financially savvy friends use ;) (They also use "I am enough, I have enough, I do enough" - crazy notions, huh??) Then I took a shower and it took as long as it took. I had my clock in the bathroom, but at this point, I was past the time I would usually catch the reliable bus, and had somewhere inwardly agreed that I would take the unreliable bus and whatever happened would happen.  ~ I even blowdried my hair – I haven’t done that in the morning before work in … a while. It’s a luxury of time (but also helps to keep me healthy in winter months). Then I did my makeup and got dressed, and got a snack ready for work, so I knew I’d have something to eat and not starve again.

And I walked out of the house – two days ago, I literally (well, not literally I guess!) flew down the stairs and nearly knocked into the person also going out the front door at that moment. But this morning, I walked. In my purple coat and teal scarf and green bag, and warm hair and world-ready face. And you know what? I ran into a friend as I was walking to the unreliable bus, and I asked him if I could get a ride to BART, and he said it was about time I took him up on his many offers for a ride.

And I got to work 10 minutes late. Only ten minutes late. But the difference between how I walked in made all the difference in the world. Sure, maybe next time, I’ll get there in better time, but somehow, the minute yet immense change in my attitude toward my time – how I was spending it – addressing it – and now hopefully making it work for me, instead of breathing erratically in the face of a ticking clock – hopefully this will turn into change. Not feeling like I’ve got a vice on my heart and being preemptively guilty about not being “where I’m supposed to be, when I’m supposed to be” feels like a good start.

And, by the way, I got let out of work early (for a work errand, so I was told I can still bill my full time), and I went to BLICK art supply store and bought envelopes for my holiday cards – because under the decreased pressure in my temples, I get to be creative. And give myself time to be so. 

Holiday card #2: watercolor&embossing on paper :)

No comments:

Post a Comment