Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Let the sunshine in.


I do a work/trade at the Dailey Method workout studio on Friday mornings – it’s pretty harmless, except for the occasional bout of entitlement from clientele or having to cover childcare with a usually wailing baby who knows his mom is in the next room and if he only screams long enough, she’ll come. But, this morning, childcare lady came, there weren’t any payment traffic jams in the 5-minute turn around between the morning classes, and I had my Theater Bay Area magazine with me. Highlighted.

The other night, I set my alarm clock for ten minutes, and sat with a highlighter and the magazine. And opened it. I knew that if I had too long, I’d feel overwhelmed, and 10 minutes felt like a good beginning. It was actually easier than I’d thought, just reading through the descriptions of casting calls – some were obviously not right for me – male, far away, or another ethnicity. But a few were. 4, in fact. One was a reach, but I highlighted it any way: Lead frontman in a The Who’s Tommy production company. – But hey, I’m just highlighting, no need to rule any thing out. And then my alarm went off, magazine closed.

So this morning, *thumpthump* *thumpthump* I took the magazine out at my desk shift while class was going on, and… I sent 3 emails. (I want to research the playwright for the 4th, as they were specific about it, and I don’t know the name). I sent my small little actor’s resume and my headshot a friend took for me in January, and a blurb about why I’m interested, and can’t wait to meet you, yadda yadda.

I’ve done this. I’ve sent out at least a thousand resumes in my working day. I know how to fashion a cover letter. So, I did. And I send the Roger Daltrey one too. – That one, I got a response to right away – he said they’d filled that slot, but were still looking for an Acid Queen and/or backup. I said, count me in. Who knows, he said they have someone interested in managing their group who needs to see the new Daltrey, and probably won’t start going until mid-December, more yadda yadda, so, no high hopes. But I did it – I made baby steps.

Actually, I think proposing that I’d be a great frontman to your production is a major leap, and perhaps I need to learn to mitigate better, so I can stay realistic, hopeful, but realistic, and not stamp out my own dream by taking too-large, developmentally inappropriate steps – but that said, I was glad I replied to the ad, because it might lead to something else. Like anything, this is a game of persistence. And so, great, I sent out 3 emails – one bounced back! – but I have one more to send, and other work to do as assigned/suggested by my actress friend.

However… tonight, me and two of my girl friends went to see HAIR in SF, and at the end of the play, you can go up on stage to dance with the band and all the other audience and cast members – and so as me and my two friends jiggled around to the finale song, laughing and loving it, I told myself to get used to the heat of those lights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment