Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"This Rare Human Life" - P.C.


Before I go any further, I must report the variety of references that occurred in tonight’s Shakespeare class:

Zombie Romeo, Dr. Who, the youtube video of a gosling falling asleep, The Twilight Zone, and a graphic novella by Neil Gaiman.

And, most surprisingly, were all pertinent to our discussion – well, except Zombie Romeo – he’s just fun to talk about.

Grad school is weird.

Next, it’s a very good thing that the topic for today’s Calling in the One was about Abe Lincoln’s quote that we are “all as happy as you make up your mind to be,” and to actively practice being happy in the situation we are in, in the life that we are in no matter what it includes or doesn’t include.

This is a very good thing I read this last night before bed, as when I woke up, I did a dumb thing – I looked at an ex’s facebook page. Now, now! I had good intention, there was this link he just needed to have, it so referenced inside jokes that happened when we were together – it was pertinent…necessary…

I’ve pasted the link into the comment box … and then I see a recent tagged photo of him with a girl. … My gut goes PHOOM – CLUNK – GAK and STAB. Now, I have no idea who this woman is – could be his cousin – though I doubt that. I delete the link. Ack – how that spun me. For several minutes I was … triggered? I guess could be the word there?

Now, yes, I broke off our relationship. Yes, we both know that we weren’t suited for the “long haul.” Yes, I really do believe there are people who we are both more well suited for – but F8ck! did you have to find one first!

Ha, as if it’s some contest. As if “happiness” is a contest. Nannynanny poopoo I got there fiiirst.

So, there were a few minutes of pain that I don’t really know what emotion it was – jealousy, envy, sadness? And I texted a few friends, and then as I was putting my coffee in the microwave, I see on my fridge is a card that has that very same Abe Lincoln quote on it. About being as happy as I make up my mind to be. And I go back to the CITO book and I look at the wording for today’s “assignment,” and it’s to affirm that I am happy with everything that I have and everything that I don’t have. Everything as it is.

So, I say that a few times, sip some coffee, and text my friends back and say, I’m okay, it was just sort of a kick in the chest, but that I know that I’m making myself available for something phenomenal – and, in fact, that I really do wish him to be happy. There’s nothing “wrong” with him – as really, there’s nothing “wrong” with anyone – just things that don't work for me or that I may not agree with.

So, there’s nothing “wrong” with any of this at all. I mean, my life is chock full at the moment. I left the house to go meet with my fellows this morning and had some good chuckles and a dash of support – and I got to hold a two-month old baby and told my friend I’d be happy to babysit – he seemed quite relieved to imagine an hour or more when he and his wife could have silence. Babies sort of readjust your soul I think.

I went to the dentist for a check-up, I ate some lunch, and then I met with my Shakespeare professor about my final project. … It may not have Muppets. Sorry folks. He said, although he loves the um, enthusiasm, perhaps I could thing of a more “robust” frame. So we spoke for quite some time, and I also asked him what he thought of a female monologue from Shakespeare for my audition on Sunday, and gave me some alternative ideas (I still have to get my headshots printed. … gak).

Afterward, directly as I was walking down the stairs from that meeting, I get a call from a girl friend whom I love dearly but hadn’t spoken with in months. We chat for nearly an hour, then it’s time for dinner and class.

So, yeah, my life is full. Of action, activities, love, self-care, friendship, community.

And two of my friends texted back this morning to say that my reaction was human. Just human. Normal, and human. And for me, another thing to accept is that “human” is not a curse word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment