Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Hunkering Down & No Drastic Movements


These were two things Patsy said to me this morning – to hunker down in school work mode – which I have actually diligently done today – you can check out the most recent installation of my poetry thesis on the MVD page (it’s 9 poems, laid out to sort of make sense as a mini-collection). I have to meet with my thesis advisor tomorrow for our second meeting.

At our first, she said, “over produce and cut back.” So, I got paralyzed by that(!), and blundered along writing my poem-a-week for my workshop class, and that’s pretty much what I’ve got. But, today, I did sit in a cafĂ© with ALL the comments from my peers and professor, and sifted through it all. I copied the comments I liked onto my master copy, making my own new edits, with fresh eyes and some space from having written them.

Just now, I put them all into one document and edited the hell out of them. And in very much likelihood, they still need or want work – it’s like a painting, or a recipe – sometimes you’re not sure there’s something missing till you add salt, and suddenly it comes alive – poetry is like that – there can be one thing somehow off by a degree. But also, people’s barometers are calibrated differently :P

But, it’s done, for tomorrow’s purposes at least, so that’s one huge thing off my mind/plate.

As to “No Drastic Movements”, Patsy suggested that perhaps this week of all weeks (the 2nd to last one of school when I am so aggrievedly badly procrastinatorily overworkedly behind), perhaps I shouldn’t: break the 6 months silence with my mom; look at ads on craigslist for SF apartments; look at ads for hybrid cars; flagellate myself for going over my monthly spending plan; or do any other such thing as would be drastic.

This week at least ;)

Despite the fact that I am over my spending plan for this month (an interminable month, if you’re looking at it through my financial numbers; though staggering to realize it’s nearly December!), I am in need of groceries. So, today on my way out of the city, I bought myself a pound of coffee. I still need to get to the real grocery store over here and stock up, but it felt like, SO THE FUCK WHAT – YOU NEED TO EAT – GO BUY SOMETHING silly girl, for christ’s sake. Martyrdom is way overrated. And I’m really f’ing sure that not having any groceries is not what this whole “financially solvent” thing is about.

Yes – I bought clothing that wasn’t in my plan (work appropriate! Though I did turn away from the oh so sinfully supple black leather jacket at Bloomingdales) – and I also bought myself a facial yesterday, because I’m exhausted and needed the recharge. I knew these weren’t in the plan – but I earned more than I anticipated this month ...

However, I know that pattern of my behavior – it looks like, Eh, a little more won’t hurt – it’s self care, or it’s my friend’s favorite color, or so what, my dvd from the library is two weeks overdue. …

And then finally, it once again looks like an empty fridge without the finances to refill it. It always looks like that in the end. I know that place.

So, here I am, seeing it early – “Awareness, Acceptance, Action,” right? But, I am also self-flagellating ;P

I’m a little punch-drunk from staring at my poetry and reading the rest of The Tempest today, so I’m signing off.

Lastly though, I did all of my dishes this morning. And, really, that counts for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment