Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

“What’s the use in clapping if Tinkerbell’s just gonna die anyway?”


Yesterday at rehearsal, I was changing into my costume in the women’s stall and overheard two of the other actors reciting lines from their monologue class last semester. This was the line.

It sounded so maudlin, purple, dramatic – and hilarious.

It’s nice when these kinds of pessimistic, nihilistic phrases sound like humor to me instead of like truth. Depending on the day, it could go either way.

But for right now, it sounds funny to me.

Because it’s a question I pique to. It’s a question I (and we) have to answer for ourselves every single day. What is the use in trying, living, loving, exploring, creating, learning, sharing, expressing, including, communicating, if it’s all gonna turn to rat turds anyway?

I think it’s a question we are also privileged to be able to ask ourselves. In many economic circumstances, in many not so small corners and countries of the world, there isn’t the option to see the breadth of life and question why we engage in it—there’s only “do what’s in front of you to keep on living;” there’s only survive.

Therefore, it is a gift (and a curse) to have the opportunity to ask ourselves why we should keep on keepin’ on. And we can choose to take the opportunity, or not.

If we forget the finality of mortality, we are (I am) apt to waste time. To plod along, to not question, and not look up to see what direction we’re going. Which is what yesterday’s blog was about.

I won’t repeat what I wrote around Cancer Time, about the crazy-making imperative clock that then can begin to sound when you start noting the temporality of things, which makes you question if you’re allowed to sit on the couch and watch Netflix – or if because of the finite nature of things, you’re only allowed to participate in activities that move the needle of your life and humanity forward.

That kind of extremity can lead to paralyzation. We all need a mind break.

But, what when that mind break goes on too long? When again you begin to feel what Martha Graham called, “a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest”?

I have that divine dissatisfaction; it’s part of what keeps most artists (and mathematicians and inventors)  tinkering at their “finished” work – there’s always something to do, to improve, to make divine itself. But there is a quagmire when that divine dissatisfaction is coupled with absence of direction or intention or consistency.

Then it is only failure. And you’re back to paralyzation again.

My dear aunt wrote me in response to my blog about courage the other day. She was galled. She asked, in essence, if I, Molly, am not courageous, if I am not a warrior goddess, than what on earth am I?

I agree with her (sometimes), that I am a warrior goddess. Not that I’m unique or special in that; many of us are. But, I wrote a blog while sick that was called, “What’s the use of being a Shaman Warrior if you don’t get paid for it?

I asked myself in the car yesterday, driving to rehearsal, what a warrior goddess does for a living? I thought about Gandhi and Mother Theresa (if I may be so bold as to compare). And I answered, She teaches others how to be warrior goddesses, too.

What that will look like, I wish I had more ideas. But, I will continue to clap for Tinkerbell – because the “use anyway” is that I (and we all) have been given the chance to touch and enhance the world around us and within us. The use is that every time that we exchange a moment of compassion and joy and true connection we illuminate the world. The use is that every one of us is a beacon for everyone else, if we’re bold enough to shine.

As you can see, I have the blessed unrest – if I could only have the blessed roadmap, we’d be in business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment