Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Not Vanilla


So you might as well know now, since it’ll come up eventually: In April, I’m going to Boston for a booty call.

It’s probably one of the most forethought and conscious ones I’ve ever had, since it requires, you know, plane tickets.

But, my dear friend is a flight attendant based in Seattle, and invited me to see her for a few days. I have a few days off around Passover next month, have never yet seen the Pacific Northwest, and said, yes, oh please, travel yes.

In the meantime, my long-time flirtation with a former SF resident began to pick up speed—well, as speedy as text or messaging or emailing can be. There were more "like"s, a few more texts, and not undesired flirtation.

God. We can flirt! Holy shit. It’s pretty much what we did together for the half-dozen years or so we knew one another in SF before he moved to Boston. We went on one date once, but it didn’t really take off, and we remained a flirtation.

So when the Seattle trip came up, and I saw that it was only a few bucks more to fly through to Boston, I asked him if he wanted to pull this flirtation from out of the clouds and onto the ground—or at least, into bed.

We both had reasons and justifications why this was a bad idea. For those of you playing along at home, this was my Cupcake Conundrum. It could be a disaster. Awkward, too much pressure, a lot of time spent with someone you don’t really know that well, all texting and emailing aside.

And then my friend told me, Life is meant to be lived. And I believed her.

So, ticket bought, the flirtation has taken on a new edge of anticipation and intrigue. And holy shit, is it F U N.

One of the wonderful things about this one in particular, is that we do have a basis for being pretty open and honest and vulnerable with one another about other stuff. I wouldn’t exactly say we were friends before, we never called one another up to bitch about stuff or hang as platonic pals, but we’ve developed a foundation of communication over the years that enables me, at least, to feel a little more bold in our new iteration.

I get to be sexy. I get to be saucy, and not a little eye-brow raising in my replies.

And something interesting is happening for me. In the same way that yesterday’s blog was about music reminding me of a greater part of myself, and opening me up to something greater, this whole level of sexuality and sensuality I’m getting to explore in relation to him is doing the same. I feel radiant, is what I wrote in my morning pages today.

Because the flirtation remains in the realm of words and not bodies, I get to be and write things I might not otherwise say. I get to push envelopes, and in doing so, I’m pushing a door open within myself. I love to feel this part of myself in a way that is safe, connected, supported, and reciprocated.

It hasn’t always been that way. My ex was decidedly vanilla. I mean, pretty much everything about him was vanilla!, but so to in the bedroom department. Which is fine. But it’s not going to change anything, open anything, explore anything. I mentioned some things to my ex that I wanted to try, and he wasn’t into them. I mean, god bless him, he tried a few times, but it was obvious he so wasn’t into it, or was so out of his element that he was more just doing it instead of enjoying it.

Despite my public comportment (which shall remain), I am decidedly NOT vanilla. (Nor am I triple swirl chunky monkey supreme, but.) It’s something I know about myself, and until this recent flirtation, have not really gotten the chance to share in a way that feels esteemable before. Sure, I’ve had dalliances where some of my wantonness was explored, and boy were those fun. But those were nothing sustainable, and one-offs, unfortunately (or fortunately).

So getting to express and open and reveal a side of myself that is rarely unveiled is thrilling. It feels so good to say something out of the box, then follow it up with, "I feel insecure that I said something out of the box," and have him respond in a receptive and reassuring way. It’s novel, man.

I mean, I am a Libra. (I just felt all your eyes roll!) My sign is ruled by Venus. The planet and force of sex, sensuality, desire, beauty, luxury, charm. In all my chasteness and celibacy, there has been something missing. Like all of the parts I’m struggling and striving to claim and reclaim, all the passions I’m diligently unearthing and revealing to you, sexuality is a critical piece of that excavation.

It’s sort of a sex-positive thing, I guess! Which, it is important (to me) to note, does not mean that I’m going to throw it around or be “easy” with it – that’s the only reason why I think this is happening in this organic and esteemable way: because it’s safe. Because I feel heard and held and reciprocated and appreciated. Because this person knows much of me that rounds out the view. This isn’t Molly as Sex Kitten (but hey, Yum). This is Molly as multi-faceted, self-possessed woman. And isn’t that sexy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment