Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Postcards from the Edge (of a Bookshelf)


Two nights ago I picked up a book that’s been on my shelf since July of last year. I brought it back with me from New Jersey, where I’d stayed with my brother and attended a good friend’s wedding. My brother was getting set to move from his (omg LUXURY) apartment (by SF standards) to Baltimore to live with his long-time girlfriend. (Seriously -- a huge one-bedroom for $950. Come ON!, she drooled.)

He was getting rid of nearly everything. And my brother is a keeper of books.

I didn’t know this about him. We haven’t lived in the same place since I was … 23 and he was 20, still living in our childhood home. So, for about ten years I haven’t been able to witness him living on his own, developing his own habits and patterns, becoming a real self-sufficient adult who buys his own eggs and toilet paper, and who apparently keeps books.

I am not a keeper of books. I am a library whore. I love them, escaped to the one in our neighborhood growing up, and mostly, I like to live light. But, as I’ve settled into my own adult-ness, and one place-ness, and probably not moving anytime soon-ness, I’ve begun to slowly add to these shelves.

And when Ben was about to throw out (or dear god, I hope donate!) almost all his books, I scoured his shelves for anything that wouldn’t weigh down my carry-on bag too much. I took a few “classic” novels, returned my copy of Catch-22 to myself, a few books on physics, and two on acting.

One is by Mamet, and is a little too mean for me (not as in base, but as in incompassionate and didactic). The other is called Auditioning by Joanna Merlin.

My brother had the great experience and success of doing the plays in high school and in college, and I even flew back once for his star performance in undergrad (the play of which I cannot recall), to attempt to make up for the years when I’d been absent from his life. He was a fun actor, an able one, and I still hope/wish that he takes it up again one day.

Confidentially, (if this place can be called that), acting was one place for him that his stutter completely disappears, and he is the confident man I know him to be.

The Auditioning book hadn’t a crease in its spine. Brand new. And Ben gladly passed it on to me.

I began reading it again because in class at Berkeley Rep on Monday, I opened the notebook I’d brought, which I use for theater stuff, apparently. In the notebook were some handwritten notes and quotes from Merlin’s book. I must have written them down when I was reading the book last summer, and then promptly put it back on the shelf.

The quotes were revelations, the extending of a hand down into the dark world of trying and hoping and trying some more in the course-less world of theater. I took the book back off the shelf the other night, and haven’t been able to put it down since.

There’s practical information about what happens at an audition, compassionate anecdotes about sitting in the waiting room for one, and tips and exercises for how to explore a scene or monologue. It’s a great book. I’m devouring it. And I know I’m at a place where it’s relevant now, where it wasn’t when I began it a year ago.

I have a frame of reference now; I have a better understanding of the challenges I’m putting in front of myself, and the ones that are inherent to the process.

If my best friend hadn’t gotten married, if I hadn't had the funds to go, if I hadn’t stayed with my brother, if he hadn’t been discharging all his books, if I hadn’t taken this class at Berkeley Rep, if I hadn’t picked up this very notebook, I wouldn’t have gotten this gift.

This tome is a welcome hug and nudge on a path I’ve never walked before – but someone else has. 

No comments:

Post a Comment