Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Did you live happy? Did you live well?


I don’t really believe in heaven and hell. I suppose if I believe in anything, I believe in some kind of version of reincarnation. Not that my soul gets inserted into some new being on the planet, but that the anima that makes my heart pump disseminates into other things – surely, the worms, and dirt, and grass that’ll be fed by me, but also, I feel like there’s some way our spirit gets to try again.

Maybe not. Maybe we’re all worm food. But I think about the concept I've heard that we choose the life that we’re born into. That we somehow float cosmically one step outside of this reality, and when it’s time, we are born into the lock that our life provides the key for – and the lessons and situations we walk into in life are what turns the key. Toward what? Who knows. Enlightenment sounds like such a heavy word. I don’t know that there’s ever any “fixed” or “done” for us. I think that’s part of what our souls, for lack of a better word, enjoy about the whole thing.

It’s sort of like an infinite book of Choose Your Own Adventure. We’ve all heard me talk about how the lessons we’re here to learn aren’t always the ones we want; it’s not like I would have chosen some of the circumstances that have surrounded my life or the situations that occurred in it. But, on some level, perhaps I have and did. And perhaps for some benevolence greater than my own. – Or not.

Sometimes I ask my cat what she did in former lives to be a cat this time. What she was before? And who she bribed to get to be as pretty as she is?

Sometimes I think about the Indigo Girls’ song Galilleo, and how maybe the being we’re born into next time will have so much baggage from our fucking things up, or not “evolving” enough, to be the next great writer and artist, or inventor fixing the world.

Sometimes I sit home sick and watch Saving Grace on Netflix and write a blog about theology. Like today.

I have heard about the whole Pearly Gates thing, and we (or Christians, at least) get asked questions. And I wonder if I were asked the questions in the title of this post, what my reply would be? And if it will continue to change, as it’s surely changed before.

A friend of mine has a mission statement for herself and her life, and squares the actions and activities she engages in against it. If it doesn’t jive, then she finds a way to align her wants with its message: To be of maximum service to myself and others, for the good of all involved.

The other day, as I was sitting in my car, waiting for the call with my potential new somatic therapist, I was struck with a phrase for me and for my life that feels pretty appropriate. It was less a mission statement at the moment, and more a simple observation of the sum total of my actions & endeavors, at least in adulthood: To voraciously expand my consciousness of love.

It’s sort of what I have been doing lately, I think. It’s sort of what I think I want to continue to do. It’s a tall freaking order, for sure. And it’s uncomfortable and vulnerable and occasionally plain biting, but at its base, at my base, I think it’s a pretty good mission for my soul to have chosen.

Once, in meditation, I got this edict for my life: To love, as much as you can. What comes to me from that is that it’s also really as much as you can on any given day. Do your best on any given day, and that level will change, and sometimes will be really freaking low. But if I believe, which I do, that I am here for a purpose, and if I believe today that that purpose is to voraciously expand my consciousness of love, then it’s sort of like when they put those bumpers in the gutters of the bowling lane: I’ll never be too far off center. 

No comments:

Post a Comment