Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.


Call it Spring. Call it some planetary phase. Call it the fact that I’ve been back at my job for one year in April. But the past few days, I’ve begun to feel like things are about to shift. Change is afoot.

Could be wrong. Could be indigestion. Could report the same old, same old here for the next sixty years. But, I don’t think so. I don’t feel so.

It’s kind of a stupid thing to report, that you feel change is afoot, in a blog that is supposed to be about updates and reflections and actions. To simply take a moment to let you know that I feel like things are about to be different seems antithetical and anticlimactic. But, nonetheless, I tell it as it happens.

There’s some sort of coagulation that has happened, that I've begun to recognize. Maybe it was sitting with that woman on Sunday and reflecting on the change that’s occurred within me and my spending habits. Maybe it’s noticing that it’s been a year at this job, which has provided a foundation of stability and structure, and enabled me to heal. It’s also realizing that things are going to change soon at my work, the nature of things are going to be reorganized, and perhaps it’s just a time to reassess what’s happening and going on.

It feels like a time to pull my head out of the sand a little more. To reassert what it is that I want out of life, and address those things that hinder me from heading there, or even dreaming them up. It’s what I wrote yesterday in my morning pages: It’s time to dream again.

When you’re in a storm, all you have attention for and time to do is to batten down hatches and lower the mainsail and hope to Jesus and Allah and George that you get through the rough patch safely.

When the clouds do clear, you spend the time assessing damage, swabbing the decks of all the debris you took on board during the crisis, and getting a new roll-call of who’s still with you, who’s got a broken arm.

Eventually, the water has evened out, the crew is back to its old galley routines, and it’s time to point the ship toward the horizon again.

I’ve been very clear this time, as I ask for direction and guidance, to be open to what’s said/heard/intimated. How do you want me to earn? How do you want me to live? How do you want me to share the gifts I have?

I feel I’ve made an awful mess of hampering myself, like an anchored ship attempting to get anywhere new. And I know that some of the internal and external work I’m doing is to untether that stagnation, resistance, and fear.

A friend once told me, years ago, that things wouldn’t work out for me with theater until I addressed my trauma shit. Another friend told me while I was battling chemo that I wouldn’t get out of this pattern of self-immolation until I moved through my father shit.

Despite all the rowing, all the sails pointed in the right direction, no movement can be made if you’re still anchored to pain. No sustainable movement, at least.

So, I suppose this feeling, this sense that things are about to change, is an indication that I’m hoisting anchor.

Where I go from here? I’ve got to take a deep breath of promise and divine creative unrest -- and trust my compass.


(Thank you for indulging my ship metaphor! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment