Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Fortune cookie wisdom: Action is the key to success.


I didn’t actually set my alarm last night, so you get an abridged blog. I have an audition tonight in Marin, and I wanna make sure I shower!

I spent some time last night after I got home from rehearsal culling through the near 200 photos that the headshot photographer put in her gallery from our shoot a few days ago –they look AMAZING. Not “me” per se, though I don’t look half bad, but the style, the lighting, the cropping, the angles, everything, I am SO glad I paid for a professional shoot finally. As I’ve said, I love and appreciate how my friends helped me with some before, but this woman shot Rainn Wilson from “The Office,” and he got work… so…! Off to perfect my snarky, sarcasm then.

I can’t wait to write her a Yelp review, which is how I found her anyway. She used to work in LA, then was commuting to work here and in LA, and now is just here – to be close to her man, Aw…

Out of 200 photos, I get to chose two that I want her to “basic retouch,” and then I get all the rest by disc. Oh, the choices! But I’ve narrowed it down to half a dozen, with one being my stand-out – like, wow, Molly you look like someone who actually does this.

It’s again how I felt walking out of rehearsal at SF State last night – I said aloud in my car, “I’m so proud of you, Molly.” It’s such a nice feeling to have about yourself.

I also, last minute, a.k.a. Monday, signed up for an audition that’s being held this Thursday, and both tonight’s and tomorrow’s have very different needs for audition pieces.

Luckily, for tomorrow’s I’ve reached back into what I’d done when I was auditioning while I was a student at Mills, the piece I was using in the Winter of 2011/2012. I didn’t know if I’d still remember it, and I fell FLAT when I used it once then (“I’m sorry, can I start again; I’m so sorry, can I try it one more time”) – oh the poor auditors! I didn’t have it memorized.

But, as I went over it yesterday while driving to rehearsal, I realized, I do actually remember it mostly, and I can hope to get it by tomorrow evening (or just admit I don't, and use a notes) – Luckily, tonight’s is a cold-read audition, which means I don’t have to have anything memorized, I’ve just gone over the “sides” (the pieces of the play) that they want us to read from. It’s going to be a group audition, since all of the scenes have multiple characters in them. If I--- I was going to say, If I get this role…  but I won’t, not from fear of jinxing it, but simply because I want to remain true to my intention, which is to show up for myself to the best of my ability, and leave the results up to whatever they will be.

I’ll still be using my old headshot that I got a year ago, when I had like an inch of hair, but, I’m already in the door, the rest is up to the “me in person.”

Break a leg, Moll. Break a leg. (OH! And BREATHE!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment