Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

BFGOG


This’ll be a short one, due to time, and that I feel quite drawn today (insert cartoon image of me—get it?).


I’ve been sitting with this phrase since last week, when two work occasions brought it to mind: “But For the Grace of G-d, there go I.”

The 16-year old sister of a student got locked up in a 5150 last week, for mental and drug-related reasons.

An unstable woman my age sought to get all bases of her soul covered by coming to my work before she gets sent away to jail.

It’s been 10 years, nearly 11, since I was in a padded room or a barred cell.

But for the grace of god, there go I.

Call it grace, call it luck, call it divine intervention, call it none of these. I don’t know why, and I don’t test my chances. As best I can, I stay in the middle of the boat, make phone calls, meditate, get outside help, and just continue to try, because there is a gossamer slip of distance between those lives and my own.

Call it whatever you want, including random chance. Just call me grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment