Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Miracle-Gro


I have heard it said that Relationships are like Miracle-Gro for your character defects.

If this is true, I realize this morning, then Relationships are also Miracle-Gro for our spiritual development. One must lead us to the other if we aren't to fall into a pit of fire or stagnation.

A few years ago, I was engaged in a clandestine dalliance with a man. I was titillated by our connection and conversation, but “nothing” had happened so far. So I did what I do in circumstances like that – I went to G-d, or Higher Power, or Magical Sky Faerie, or Inner Wisdom -, obviously “G-d” is just a great shorthand, so please read it as such.

I wrote one of my “G-d letters,” a letter to my HP with all my questions and fears and excitement, etc. about this man. And then I turned the page, and wrote a letter back, in theory from G-d, or from my higher wisdom. In this letter, I was informed that, great, have fun, be titillated, but whatever you do, Molly, don’t forget Me. Don’t forget my HP, and like yesterday’s blog, don’t forget to do those practices which help to keep me on balance and on my side of the street.

Relationships are like Miracle-Gro for my spiritual development. I have not always used them as such. Or viewed them as such, but I believe I’m really understanding that more now.

The more involved I may become with someone else, the even more firmly and strongly I need to involve myself with “myself,” or those wise, calm, serenity-producing, others’ welfare-focused parts of myself.

I’m not in a relationship – but I have a second date with the okJew on Tuesday. We confirmed this yesterday, and so it is. But, today is not Tuesday. Today is Sunday, when I’m heading with my girffriend and her bf all the way out to Discovery Bay for some sunshine, barbeque, potential pool and hot tub, but mainly, to fellowship, camaraderie, catching up with friends I don’t see nearly that much now that I’m in Oakland, not SF. Today will be a day for me to be present with who I'm with and where I am, as well as a day, potentially, to rest by the pool, and do some of the writing I need to have done for tomorrow.

Today, is not the day to obsess. I will not obsess on what I will wear on Tuesday. I will not obsess about wanting to text this guy and let him know that I won’t be having sex with him on Tuesday, so he can back out if he wants – because obviously, says my story (see above character defect reference), men only see what’s on the outside, and that’s all they want. Today I will not obsess about planning to get STD tested, or whether I have up-to-date condoms, or if my feminine lady time is coming right now and will preclude sexual encounters anyway.

Today, I will not obsess that I should have been paying more attention to working out, or to a lack of firmness in any part of my body.

Today, I will not obsess that my home isn’t clean enough, or decorated enough. Today, I will not obsess about what will happen on Tuesday, about whether I’ll be able to stand firm at my boundaries and decline the obvious sexual attraction from being consummated.

Today, I’ll get ready for my friend to pick me up (in 30 minutes!!). Today, I’ll pack a beach towel, and some sunscreen, and sunglasses. Today, I’ll put on shorts, and sip the last of my decaf. And that’s really as far as I need to see today. There are plans to go cherry picking, there’s likely going to be barbeque and food. There may be time to catch up. There may be social awkwardness. It may not all be about me.

As far as I can see today is the next 30 minutes. Those are pretty easy.

Oh, and I can recall to not forget G-d. 

No comments:

Post a Comment