Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Melting Boxes and Falling Cards


I may or may not have a date this weekend with a jew I met on okCupid. We had made tentative plans for Sunday, but I had double booked and asked to meet up on Saturday instead, and haven’t heard back yet. We’ll see. I’m talking with another CupidJew; jdate, I have a coffee date aligned for next Friday, but I’m not entirely enthused on this one – and let another thread fall when I realized I wasn’t really interested in meeting this other dude. 

Who knows. It’s like the job applications. Send stuff out – see what sticks. I do feel like I’d like to apply to more teaching jobs though. It’s really funny. Maybe 6 or so months ago, I met with a girl friend who works with Expressive Arts Therapy, and she asked how "teaching" felt in my body – to make a motion or movement – that would express what being “a teacher” would mean to me. Then, I contracted and constricted my body, on the tack that teaching is a sedentary, stoic, geographically uninspired profession.

Surprisingly or not, I don’t think I feel that way anymore. Maybe I’d express it a little more wiggly now – maybe because it is a little more (or a lot more) wiggly than I’ve previously boxed it in. I also would like to apply outside of the Bay a little more. I know that moving costs a lot, and yadda yadda, but, in the spirit of “what do I know about Fate,” I’m willing to throw my net wider, and my seeds farther, and see what sprouts, … or is caught. … You get the idea.

What a concept – pushing my ideas out of the proscribed boxes in which I’ve held them.

Interestingly, my mom comes to mind. “Mother,” lord, what a “concept.” What huge, enormous expectations and qualities we – or I – hurl upon such a word. My ideas were formed way back when – she’s crazy, unavailable, manic-depressive, and dying of her own neuroses – and these have kept pretty calcified over the years. She’s better now (G-d bless medication), but it’s hard for me to allow that. If she’s not crazy, if I don’t mistrust her, where are we? How do we engage? Obviously, similar questions can be brought about my dad, and even my brother. … and more broadly, myself, you, the world, etc. Boxes. Boxes with a label, Discard After 1987, or maybe after 1996. Certainly, way past their due date by 2012.

I think of this about my mom today in again reflecting on the agingness of my parents – having seen them both two weeks ago for my graduation. They’re getting older. They’re not going to be able to do or go or share or be what they had been. And so, I wrote my mom an email yesterday I titled “If you build it, they will come,” and in it I simply wrote, “Sometime in the not too distant future, you and I should go to Paris. That is all. Love, Molly.”

My mom has never been, nor have I. I’ve been clicking on this contest prize for a trip for two to Italy for a few weeks now – because, you gotta buy a ticket if you want to win the lottery, right – and I realize that there are some things that if I want to do with my mom, I better start to do them now. Sure, I have no idea if something like a trip to Paris or Italy, or anywhere, will take place, but the time is getting shorter when they’d, she’d, be able to really traipse about. Traipsing is a young people’s – or younger people’s – pastime.

I am glad that the boxes in which I’ve held my parents are disintegrating like so much wet cardboard. It’s a little scary. But, rather, it’s not scary, as much as new.

I wish I could let the boxes around myself melt as much. One of the dudes I’m talking with on the dating site is very encouraging and interested in my bass playing, though I keep on telling him it’s really a lack of bass playing, and a lot of me being silly and denying myself (although, surely, I didn’t put it quite that way – impressions, you know!) ;)

But, it’s another box. My girl friend I was supposed to speak with about her bass playing, our phone call didn’t happen, and I haven’t rescheduled. Although I am having two info interviews around theater next week. One in person with a friend of mine who is an active actor (but has a “real” job, too), and the other by phone with my former acting teacher at school, who is the casting director at a local renowned theater company. So, there’s that.

There’s a lot. And as I was telling someone yesterday, a house of cards must be taken down very slowly and carefully. Not all at once. I don’t think I’d much like being shaken all the way down to my bonsai tree nubs. Or pruned, I suppose would fit that metaphor better! But point being, that dismantling old beliefs and behaviors takes patience, practice, and an ability to leave it alone for a while.

It’s not some jenga game I have to finish in a proscribed period of time. (I’m ripe with metaphors today! ha! enjoy or apologies, either way!) There are time-sensitive matters – my parents’ aging, obtaining employment so I can feed and house myself, but even that one is a little fluid right now, although surely top of my mind - I do have this temp work I’m doing, which I’ll be doing for likely another 2 weeks. I’ve been applying, and we’ll see. I’d like to apply to different avenues, and we’ll see. I plugged “jewish” into my searches on the dating site, and we’ll see.

“…and action is its key word.” Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment