Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Work It.


I’m up at what I would call atrociously early, if I hadn’t just signed up to be the desk person at my gym at 5:30 am on Mondays starting June. That will be hellaciously early. This is only moderate.

I do a work-trade at my workout studio so I can get free unlimited classes. Last time I was on the trade staff, I barely took advantage of it; since I could go whenever I wanted for free, there didn’t feel like any urgency. Now. … Well, I started back on staff just before my Boston trip, so I felt a bit urgent in “lifting my seat"! And in hoping not to wheeze like a rhino during any strenuous activity!

Now that the trip is well over, and schedules are back on track, I’m trying to get back a few times a week again. It’s good for me. Mentally, mostly. Though, yes, when I go regularly, I see and feel changes that I like. It’s nice to feel strong, capable. It’s nice to push myself because sometimes the class is peopled with 60 year olds (along with the 20, 30 and 40 somethings who are straight out of a Marina postcard) – and if they, a sexagenarian, if you will, can do it, can hang for an hour, then so can I. Moderately!

I also asked a friend to meet up and do our writing together yesterday evening, since we’re both in the study group that’s doing all this together. It was good to see her, and we got a lot accomplished. I can already see that this work is a lot deeper and more meaningful than the last time I did this, so I can hope for change because of it.

It has already shown, in just the 15 timered-minute increments, that there are some messed up ideas around self-worth, what I can expect in this world, and what I think I deserve. So… it’ll be nice to get them out of my reflexes and onto the page.

Also, I did show up to an audition for a staged reading this past weekend, and in fact, actually got the part. Like, in writing. In an email saying, “I’d like to offer you the role of…” and then the follow-up email entitled, “Welcome to the cast.”

So, I’m now Various Roles! Ha! Yay for me. Goes on my resume.

Speaking of, I did a little more work last night – or action, rather, and sent something out. I still have loads to wade through following my info interview with my former boss last week, which was awesome, but I can try to take a small action every day. In fact, I took that action last night after all that writing during which my fears and beliefs tell me that no matter what I do or accrue or amass, it’ll be taken from me because I can’t handle it properly, because I don’t deserve it.

SO, I told that thought and belief to screw itself and got online to follow-up on something I’d seen earlier last week.

I also replied to the Volunteer Usher group I belong to who’d put out feelers to see who’d be interested in ushering the Sir Paul show at Candlestick in August. UH. ME. We won’t find out if we’re “chosen” until August, but I'm throwing my hat in the ring.

I continue to throw my hat in the ring. It’s kinda one of the things about me. I can have all these creeping, sodden beliefs and habits and reflexes that undermine what I do and want to do in this life, and I seem to continue to do this stuff anyway. I don’t know what or where that came from, that same impulse that told cancer to fuck itself, that knows this work is worth it, that isn’t satisfied accepting less than I deserve because of reasons I learned long ago about only deserving a second rate life, job, relationship, since it’ll be taken from me anyway or I’ll screw it up anyway.

I seem to have some bloody impulse that impels me to keep trying. I squawk a lot about dilly-dallying at the cross-roads of my life, and that’s true in many regards, and makes sense if I believe the above is true. But despite my procrastination, my self-sabotage, and my self-judgment, I’m awake at 5:30 this morning to do something that’s good for me. And my ass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment