Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Meet Cute


It was last Saturday at Live Oak Theater. Auditioning for a staged reading set in Texas. Trying to remember how Texans sound, trying to channel my memories of True Detective and Saving Grace to get close. About 10 of us are milling around the lobby, there’s only one young cute guy I can see across the millers, tall enough to see me back.

He walks over and makes introductory chit-chat. I tell him he looks familiar, because he does. I ask if maybe I’d seen him at other auditions. He says he doesn’t think so. That he’s trying to get something in before he moves to LA next month. I inwardly resign this one, and try a cheerful, Well that’s a big move! The producer calls my name.

I don’t see him as I’m walking out of the audition. And that is that.

Until last night. While at my friend’s tattoo shop opening, I look across a very different enclave of millers, and see him. He smiles, I wave. I go back to my conversation, but the nag to excuse myself and not miss the opportunity prevails. I walk over toward him and his friend, a girl.

He replies, they'd heard the music as they were walking by, and decided to check it out. No, they don’t know any of these folks at all. Total coincidence. We laugh and light chat, and I walk back over to my conversation.

Some bit later, he walks over to me, says they’re going to take off. Asks if I’m ever in LA. No, not really. When does he move? Three weeks. But he’ll be up to visit sometimes. He offers a, Maybe we can get coffee or meet up or some other I want to see you again euphemism. I offer my phone number, he calls it. Exchange complete.

Exit stage right, man with the ocher skin and topaz eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment