Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

Once More unto the Breach, Sorta Kinda.


Despite having gotten the “message” or “more information” about where I think my career path is supposed to, or rather, for the first time, where I want it to go… the hard(er) part is taking action to actually go there.

Although I’ve submitted my own promotion to my job, and would love to do this work there, it is unclear whether they’re in a place to support that work. And so, it’s up to me to put more eggs in more baskets.

I spent some time on Saturday updating my resume and cover letter. I had to go visit a baby(!!) so I still have some final work to do before I submit this particular one. And that’s where the stall-out happens. Any of you know this one? Heard this one before?

I’ve got this pretty particular set of things to do, in an order, in order to go where I think I want to go, in order to get what I think I want to get. … buuuuut. Well, there’s only 3 more episodes of this show I’m watching on Netflix (on my phone, I should add), so I’ll do it… later.

Gift and curse of cancer or any other mortality insisting event, or simply the past experience of soul-crushing procrastination, is you know that "later" may not be there when you are.

I’m reminded of a meditation I did once. It was probably around another time when I was demanding from fate and god and the universe that I get answers about what the f' I’m supposed to do with my life. But, I thought about this turtle that I sometimes meet in my meditations. And I thought about him walking to get toward this grass to get a bite to eat.

He is a turtle. He walks as a turtle walks, slowly, thoughtfully, without haste. When the f' was he gonna get there?? And I realized my fear was that the grass wouldn’t be there when he/I got there. If I move at a pace that is consistent, thoughtful, persistent, what if the grass simply isn’t there by the time I get there??

What the turtle had that I didn’t is faith. A true belief in knowing that the grass will be there when he gets there. That as long as he keeps on in the direction he thinks is best, care-fully and consistently, whatever he needs will be provided along the way.

Wise turtle.

I don’t know that I have, or had, the same faith.

I can’t tell you, truthfully, that watching more t.v. is a way of simply agreeing that abundance in the universe exists and I can lolligag all I want because of it. I can tell you that I have fear of where my efforts take me; that I have a streak of entitlement; that I want the outcome known before I walk anywhere at any pace.

But, I do want an outcome. As I’ve been writing, I’m tired of standing at the crossroad of my life, waiting for a lift that will never come.

There’s a phrase I hear around now: There is no ship.

If we’re all waiting for our ship to come in… sorry, bub, no ship.

That could be horrifyingly depressing. WHAT AM I DOING THIS FOR, THEN? If there’s no ship?? But, as I’m beginning to understand it, this phrase simply means that there is no skipping over the work, there is no lottery that dumps in your lap; that, like the turtle, you have to keep moving forward, and then maybe you build your own ship.

The idea is that there’s no white knight. That fantasy time is over. That we are our own white knight, if we are so brave and also disillusioned to be one.

So, unto the breach I go. Haltingly, uncertain of what I’ll find when I get there. But, if I have been given (finally, gladly, luckily, FINALLY, again) more intel on where it is I think I want to arrive, then I must get up and walk in that direction.

I must submit resumes, continue to clear the gunk from my soul, and write to you of how uncomfortable it feels to endeavor on my own behalf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment