Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Changing Underpants


“It’s like he really likes me & I’m not running from it,” is what I wrote in my journal this morning.

In fact, on Wednesday, I’ll be heading toward it, at 500 miles per hour.

I have my heels dug firmly into the ground below the plane that will carry me there, and I have compassion for the terror and fear that insists I stay in my cozy isolation.

It reminded me of a story I’d written in college (A Perverse Act of Gentility), although now, many of the details have changed. Most importantly, the part where I’m actually attracted to him, and that he’s never fallen into the deathly “friend zone.”

But, the final sentence of that story, about having humiliation and disgust for someone who “held me like an angel” -- that’s what sparked the memory this morning. That I anticipate being held in the same way by the Boston Cupcake, but I that anticipate feeling in polar opposite to how I did then. In fact, that I already do.

The number of years I’ve spent avoiding true connection is vast. I’ve written extensively here about hiding from, running from, being suspicious of love, but if you’re new to reading me, trust me: Intimacy … 

Well, here’s the vicious Catch-22 I’ve found myself in for as many years:

I am terrified of being loved; and it is also the absolute thing I hope most to be. It is where I know healing, change, elevation, joy, enlightenment, growth, revelation, and alchemy will occur. 

So, there is something different this time (no matter what the “outcome”) with the Cupcake: I am actually heading toward it. I’m not listening (wholly) to the fear. And, I feel different. “Even in my underpants, I feel different,” to quote Elizabeth Gilbert.

But, less in my underwear (though, yes...), and more in my chest cavity, in my guts, I feel different. At the same time that I have this electric fence around my whole body, I have a magnet within it too. And one is fading.

I want to be loved more than I want to hide, and I can feel the shift. I can feel tectonic plates, long-ago formed in the tundra and tumult of my creation, beginning to ease. A slight release in the tightness of my guts, and mostly, an excitement. Not just the titillation and anticipation of getting to spend time with someone I really like, but also, the opening of a door that for so long hung a sign that said, Do Not Enter: Radioactive Waste.

Years ago, I wrote a poem about a dusty “Back in Five Minutes” sign on the massive-shipping container that is my heart. About brushing the caked dirt off it, but not needing to open it then, just being content to know that it’s there, “secure, intact, existent.”

I think some of what is occurring is that I am finally opening up that shipping container, and taking a look inside. That I’m allowing the door to be open for a few minutes at a time. That I’m allowing myself to dream about what it would be like to unpack it all, to discard the fallacies, and engage and indulge in the luxuries.

Moreover, I’m letting myself do more than just dream about it, and I think that’s where the true change is occurring. I am heading over a continent, through years of flirtation, through a lifetime of resistance, toward possibility. There is a willingness to step into the unknown that hasn’t been there before, and after the willingness is actual action. Call it cancer, call it recovery, call it straight-up flouting of boredom and stagnancy.

I still am terrified, I know that. But I also feel different. In my ribcage and in my underpants, I feel different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment