Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Drowning in a sea of pearls


It is unclear if things have devolved in 25 y.o. land, but I get the sense from his flirtatious texts that perhaps our intentions are not aligned. It is unclear yet if I will bring up what mine are, ask him his, and accept what comes of that. Sitting in the ambiguity is uncomfortable. It is unclear whether sitting in the ambiguity is supposed to be my lesson, or a lesson here. It is unclear if saying: 

“I don’t know yet if I like you but I would be interested to find out. If that’s something you want to explore, then it would be nice to go out again. If not, that’s okay too.” 

is too forward or just right. Is it pushy, clear, honest, forthright, demanding, off-putting, or too soon?

I get Goldilocks' dilemma.

And I have a hard time letting go of the questions. Even with my full life.

One of the things the male co-author writes in It’s Just a F***king Date is that not every date works out, and then asks, did I get my heart broken? Sure, but not as much as I would have [if I didn’t remember it’s just a date].

So, am I heartbroken? No. I don’t even know whether I should be – what this is. Which, perhaps, is an answer. But I don’t like that “perhaps” hanging out there like a scab of uncertainty. Am I sad? A little. But, like above, not nearly as much as I could be. I mean, it was two dates. I went a little bananas, as we all read, and then I came back to center, remembered I’m awesome, and went about my awesome life. If this is someone who wants to join me on my path of awesome, great; if not, as above, “That’s okay too.” Cuz it really is.

I JUST WANNA KNOW.

Should I erase that name from my date book, or not?

I mean, I have read He’s Just Not That Into You. I do know that if someone isn’t asking you out, that has a meaning. I do know that sexy texts (which I'm replying neutrally to) are not a pathway to romance. But I want him to fucking say it. If that’s the truth, if you’re not into me, if you just want to fuck me, then say that. It saves me a lot of headache. If, because we had a very intense make-out session, I’m now relegated to the “hook-up” file in your own date-book, that’s fine too. Just let’s me know, once again, that the heavy necking should be better left to a time when its earned itself.

There’s nothing wrong with heavy necking, making out, or having sex. Don’t get me wrong. But, having recently been very clear with someone what my casual intentions were, getting those casual needs met, and closing the casual door behind him as he left, I got to see that although I acted with integrity, asked for my needs to be met, felt proud of my behavior and was very happy with the result, I also got to see that what I really want is someone who spends the night. I want to be that person for you too.

So, hooking up is all well and good, and it is also not yet decided that if the 25 y.o. says 'I don’t want to date' if I will go forward with something casual, since the previews indicated a blockbuster movie. But, I want to find out first if there’s an art film playing here, before I buy a ticket for Bourne 17. 

No comments:

Post a Comment