Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

"Come on, kid, Come on,/ One foot and then the other" ~ Dave Hause


I had a pretty synchronistic thing happen this morning. I was writing my morning pages, and I was trying to remember what Brene Brown had said in her The Gifts of Imperfection book about “digging deep,” that instead of hitting the “dig deep” button and scraping the reserves of our well when we are depleted and simply can’t go any further, her research showed her that people who live in a “wholehearted way,” as she puts it, do something different. They DIG by getting “Deliberate, Inspired, and Going.”

She gives an example, that she was burnt out on work for the day, and usually would have gone to Facebook or the internet to “recharge,” but that’s not really restorative, is it? So, she deliberated, she thought on it, and she writes, she prayed on it, and she realized she’d had this movie from Netflix sitting on her desk for a week, and instead of zoning out, she watched that and it was just what she needed.

She writes it better in the book, but I didn’t feel like typing out her copy right now.

The point is, is that as I think about ways to rest and restore lately, or as I look at how I have been resting and restoring, it looks like marathon episodes of Buffy, my friend having leant me the final two seasons of the tv show. -- Which yes can be fun, and restorative in moderation, but not 6 or 8 episodes in a row. So, yesterday, after I came home from my depth hypnotherapist, I was feeling pretty raw and discombobulated, and so I went for a walk. I knew if I stayed home, I’d just watch Buffy into the night.

I walked a different way than I usually go, and wound up wandering past the new location of the local library. As irony(?) would have it, I lost my wallet on Wednesday at a café where I was meeting with two women to talk about my finances, to make plans for the money I have and the back-rent I owe. So, now wallet-less and library card-less, I went to the library.

I putzed around for some books, picking up one I knew I wanted to read, and the rest that just spoke to me as appropriate, either in their massive levity, or in their massive gravitas, i.e. healing, spiritual books, etc. A funny thing happened there too. I had brought a book to the counter to take out that was about healing particular trauma, but written about in a way I hadn’t seen before, and as I stood there slightly embarrassed by the title of the book (but, hey, I could be a research student(!)), the librarian said that actually that title wasn’t in the system anymore, and I could simply have the book.

The library has had to downsize, hence the relocation into a trailer on a public school property, and so this book was meant to be taken from the shelves anyway – which is a shame, because I think it’d be a useful thing to have in their repertoire. However, it serves me, because I now get to keep this book that I know will take me a while to get through because of the content and emotionalism.

I think the only reason I was even willing to pick up that book was because I’d had my session with this new therapist. We didn’t do anything “woo-woo” this first session, except at the end, after having given her my “emotional biography,” I asked her how I was supposed to now go out into the world with all this stuff stirred up and live my day. She suggested we do a little meditation to ground, and center, and gather up my “guides,” and to know that I can hold all that came up. So we did a few minutes of deep breathing basically to help me be able to walk out into the world.

There’s a phrase I’ve heard which goes: It’s okay to look at the past, just don’t stare at it.

Part of me has been questioning whether going over these issues is just redigging at the past again and again, but the truth I feel and have felt is that something is broken there and needs to be, and can be fixed. There’s a part of me too that acknowledges a “Lady doth protest too much” around this stuff. That “when I’m fixed,” then I can engage in the world, with men, with relationships. Till then, I’m broken and off limits. This is not the “right” way either. I am both working on things, and capable of trying to engage with the world. Even though it seems scary. Even though I’ve been using this grief and trauma as a shield for years.

But as a friend told me, we’re all always doing work. I’m going to continue doing work till I die. Because that’s what being alive is. There is no sounding bell for me to start my life, to engage with other people, to engage in activities that bring me joy. There just is, as Brene puts it, the “Get Going” part.

So, in my morning pages, having then spent the rest of yesterday afternoon following the library excursion watching Buffy into the night, I was writing what does feel restorative to me, what does feel restful. And as I wrote my list, I wrote the word “Companionship,” and my phone rang.

A friend called me to invite me to see her sister perform tonight, early, for the old and infirm like me! I’ve heard her sister’s music, and it’s amazing. So, I said yes. And there we go, Companionship. Restoration. And a Friday night where I get to feel like a human engaged in the world, and not a patient trying to get well, or a scarred woman trying to heal.

Although ... Music. Friendship. Engagement. ? Sounds inadvertently healing to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment