Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Yes, We Can.


  • emailed landlord to ask to use 4th floor abandoned room as art room
  • emailed vocal coach to inquire about lounge singing, how to start
  • emailed friend to ask about going up in a small engine plane again. (flew one myself this year, and as always predicted, loved it. eventual vision of napa valley tour pilot.)
  • have interview on monday for two teaching positions with a jewish organization
  • have interview set up for another teaching gig
  • have modeling/portraiture session set for next weekend
  • replied yes to get minimum wage to usher at a Cake concert in two weeks
  • will be reading tarot cards at good friend’s Halloween party on donation basis
  • called friend's mom who’s a professional home stager about being her assistant
  • have coffee info interviews set up with a few high-ballers in the community
  • have action items from previous info interviews to follow up on
  • emailed work-out studio to inquire about becoming an instructor and was told it's possible (with a lot of work)
  • have a solid lead on fine dining waitress work if comes to that
  • registered as a model with a “real person” modeling agency
  • updated my profile on modelmayhem website
  • got exact amount of pto i’ll be paid out when I leave my job at end of month
  • inquired about health insurance exchange
  • got flu shot and all blood tests up to date (all negative – which is positive!)
  • made appointment for teeth cleaning
  • ordered new shipment of contact lenses before these fall apart in my eyeballs
  • replied to private tutoring gig from tutoring website I’m registered with (which… i’d completely forgotten about until I started getting these emails two weeks ago… coincidence?)
  • emailed yesterday’s blog about t’shuvah to a jewish publication (a little late, obviously, but still.)

...to name a few of the actions I’ve taken in support of my work transition!

I am nervous about leaving the safety of my 40houraweekdeskjob. Yes.

But, I am taking a lot of action. Even as I drag my feet in some places, and have certainly been watching more Netflix than is good for any one person.

But I have a phone call with a mentor today and we’ll talk about smallness and scarcity and healing and changing. We’ll talk about, “Do not go back to sleep.” We’ll talk about the beguiling and insincere safety of being quiet and small. We’ll talk about the pain and bravery of stepping out of the cage and the tenacity and audacity it takes to stay out of it.

It’s not that I haven’t taken or thought to take any of the above actions before. It’s not my first time at this rodeo. But I just feel different. To quote Elisabeth Gilbert quoting a Balinese healer: “Even in my underpants, I feel different.”

But I also know my habit and pattern of swift work followed by years of inaction. I know what it’s like for me to engage in a flurry of activity and then allow it to languish by my lack of follow-up. I know what it’s like to abandon myself.

Which is why I’m telling everyone and their mother (literally) about my impending transition.

I cannot do this alone. I am a creature of habit, and I need you to be like my wagon train – I need you to lead me away from the ruts. If I let you know I’m on this path, you can help me stay on it. If I let you know it’s terribly painful for me to work toward something new, you can hold my hand and tell me you believe in me.

I know the source of all this change must come from within – I know it’s up to my own inner work to be the foundation for a new life. But I also believe in you, who believes in me, and we cycle one another into our best selves and our best lives.

Yes, I am the one who needs to actually look up that professional development course. And I’m the one who needs to continue looking at alternative work websites – and actually reply – but without you to cheer me on, without you to help me hold the lantern of faith, this change wouldn’t work.

That’s what feels so different this time – I feel supported internally and externally in a way these transitions have never felt. I feel optimistic and hopeful, giddy and aware.

Yes, the future is uncertain. But one action at a time, with your help and your heart, I am clarifying the vision of a future (and present) me who is freer than I’ve ever allowed myself to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment