Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2014

So, How’s the play?


Oh, you mean that surprise piece of happenstance that's underscored how unhappy I was at work by how happy I am in rehearsal and performance?

That sudden flurry of activity that challenges me to quiet my inner critic and do what I’ve written here I’ve always wanted to do: perform and sing?

This universe of actor grumbling and sweaty mic packs and not enough room at the backstage table and no air conditioning and that railing that was never put in right and voice cracking and line flubbing and lighting failures?

Well, it’s fantastic!!

The buoyant aura of hard work and camaraderie, laughter and support. Even when we’re elbowing for room at the table, or need to ask someone for the hundredth time to hold your wig while you comb the bejeezus out of it – you know you’re doing it in the service of something larger than you.

To be in performance is so much more fueling than in rehearsal – like when they described Sex and the City, they said “the City” was the 5th main character. In a live performance, the audience is also a character, a member of the staged community. “It’s a great audience tonight.” “They’re not really laughing.” “They’re so into it.” You measure your performance not necessarily by how much they laugh or applaud, but by what they give you and what you give them back. And sometimes what you get is bolstering, and sometimes it's not, but it's always present. Creating something that never was and will never be again.

Flubbed it tonight? Live theater! Try it again tomorrow. Got your ridiculously long wig stuck on a screw during an entrance? Have your co-actor unhook you and get on with it. Didn’t get a laugh on that line tonight? Do it again tomorrow anyway, because you think it’s funny. Try it differently. “Let’s get crazy,” to quote a line from the show.

In addition to all this, I’ve loved the backstage buzz. People are talking about auditions and other musicals, and arguing about their favorite. People are going over their next audition monologues and kibitzing about where they’ll audition next and who the casting director is and if you saw that one last play, and Boy Howdy what a success/disaster.

It’s thrilling to me! Someone so new to this world, it’s like drinking from an oasis. People are actually talking about theater, about acting, about what they’ll do next. And it’s inspiring me to continue trying.

I know it would be very easy for me to not do anything for a while, because of my upcoming job transition. But, this play is part of the reason why I’m changing career avenues. And much of the point of the changing avenue is to change my schedule to accommodate being in productions.

Hearing all the dressing room chatter about upcoming auditions, I find I want to do more. And, like I wrote yesterday, it could be easy for me to let this thread drop when it’s over – I know how to have a flurry of activity followed by inaction. But being in the belly of the action, hearing words fly back and forth and the encouragement and the excitement shared by the other actors… I’m demanding from myself that I make these outreach emails and audition calls now, before the play is through.

So, how’s the play? It’s changed and is changing my life.

It’s hard, and I feel inadequate, and I judge myself against more experienced singers. I dread these two lyrics in the whole show and challenge myself to not dread them, to be present and let it be what it’ll be because it’s not the all of who I am or what I’m giving.

The show is fun and takes effort and requires me to be present and accommodating and kind.

In short, the show requires me to live. And live bravely. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment