Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop."


Yesterday, I took down all my magnetic poetry from my refrigerator.

I was sitting at my typical post at my breakfast table, looking across to the wall where collages, and bits of ephemera have been collecting over the time I’ve lived here.

The collages are still generically appropriate, the messaging and messages still appropo, but somehow, it felt like time for change.

After breakfast, I took the collages down. And so, it began.

I spent chunks of time yesterday clearing things out. Kitchen and bathroom cupboards, that junk drawer we all keep, going up and down the dozen steps to the curb, leaving outside all manner of things, from vases I don’t use, to that enormous gold picture frame that some day in some way I thought I’d use.

I put out, finally, that bench, that wonderful blonde wood, woven wicker seated bench which has been resting in my closet for over a year, since there’s no good place for it in my apartment, but I couldn’t bear to part with such a pretty piece of well-made furniture.

But. It’s not doing me any good.

And, the phrase I kept on thinking of as I purged and sorted through my cornucopia of crap was, Freely ye have received, Freely give.

Almost everything I own, furniture-wise, came free, from the sidewalk gods, or friends. I don’t have to believe that I won’t be taken care of in the manner of stuff. There will always be stuff. And I can believe that as I give away that which I really don’t need (I mean, really, a bench in a closet??), I will be given that which I do.

But, moreover, I’ll have the availability to see what it is I really need. To see what I have. To take stock, and inventory of what I have. For the love of god, I do not need 200 paper plates from the parties I used to throw in SF over 3 years ago. I do not need to keep the empty glass jars of peanut butter, because they could be useful for storage or a project.

They’re not. Useful. They’re clutter. And if there’s anything this time in my life is teaching me, it’s that I can be pruned back to the quick, and still be alright.

I don’t need these distractions, clutters, or intrusions. It’s time to get clean.

Part of this surge of energy to do this is I think a paving of the way for the internal work I’m getting set to do, and part of it is in anticipation of a semi-returning to the real world that seems to be getting closer.

I finished my fourth round of chemo on Sunday, and will have my fifth, and god willing final round of chemo next month.

Then. Something else entirely is apt to occur. Something new, something different. Maybe even something the same. Whatever it is, I have no idea, but having all this crap around me doesn’t make me available to it.

I’m beginning to see a new iteration of myself. If it’s not simply wishful thinking. But things like, oh, I think I want to wear clothing that more indicates x, instead of y. Ways that I want to portray myself in the world, that I want my world reflected back to me in my home. I think the clearing out is a way to clear the decks, because there is work to be done, and there is a necessity of space to do it. Just to hold the absence of stuff, to be in the vacuum, like we’re supposed to do in meditation, just be in the emptiness, in what is. Just be in my space without filling it up.

It’s not like I’m a clutterer at all, I just know I have more than I need (honestly, how many half-filled bottles of hand moisturizer does a woman need??), and I know that right now, it feels like I’ve gotten to a place where I’m ready to give away, so that I can be ready to receive.

So much of this time has taught me that there are resources available. That people, supplies, friends, laundry, rides, food, rent are all available to me, if I look and ask and receive them. I don’t need to hold onto the old, things that aren’t quite right because I don’t believe there are things to replace them. Old faded collages are not what I want reflected back to me every morning.

As much as I love the little poems I’d written in magnets, I don’t want the look of clutter it gives right now.

It’s time for a smoothing out of things. For a measure and reassessment. For me to look at who it is I now am, I now am becoming, and allow that to emerge.

I’m getting the chance to know myself and define myself, and I’m pretty interested to see who occurs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment