Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Oh, My Beautiful Wickedness!


This is one of the last lines delivered by the Wicked Witch of the West in Wizard of Oz as she’s melting from the bucket of water that Dorothy just doused her with.

It occurs to me this morning. The dying gasps. Really, I’m not sure what more I have to say on that.

Last night, I got to babysit for the one family I work with, up in the hills of Montclair – a quite posh neighborhood of Oakland, if you can still call it Oakland. I was picked up from work by the mom in downtown SF, and delivered straight to the ease and comfort of children.

There are two girls, one 7, one almost 3. The older one is mildly manipulative, so I like the little “teaching moments” I get to instill in her – like, it’s okay to be disappointed (when you land on a chute instead of a ladder, and are sent backward through the board); like, you can be honest with me (are you really hungry, or are you trying to stay up later). Some of these, I recognize are “corrective experiences,” as I once heard it put – places where we get to “go back” and make minor adjustments to experiences we might have had in the past, and put some new memories, positive memories there.

I heard this about places, mostly, - i.e. this awful thing happened at that park one time, now I can go to that park in the light of day with new eyes and a picnic, or something.

The woman I babysit for said yesterday that the French don’t picnic. She’d lived there and visited several times, and whenever they went to a lake or something, completely un-American-like, they didn’t pack a thing to eat or drink, whereas with us, it’s the first thing that we do.

I recognize this blog is a little discombobulated, but I’m feeling somewhat worn out from the week of highs and lows, and sleep deprivation. I was on the phone with a friend yesterday, and she said that if I wanted to get together to do something fun, she was available for that. I said, in essence, I’m not really available for fun right now.

What kind of a thing is that to say?! Or believe? With the money/job stuff, I am feeling depleted, but that’s almost more of a reason to refill the well. I’m reading this book on money stuff, and one of the signposts toward “not so hot” questions the guy asks is if we feel relief when the calendar switches to a new month, when the money quotient refills. Absolutely. And yet, with the calendar switch, for me now, also comes fear – okay, June is covered, What about July. I feel like I’m ticking the days off to refilling the pot, but also just crossing off the days through the year when there is so much more joy to be had.

I’m debating whether canceling camping was the “right” thing to do – but really, I think it is. A friend of mine is an expert at free and low-cost fun. It’s like her sixth sense – like her super power is finding a way to get to do the things she loves to do without paying – not like a handout, but like trade, volunteer, etc. For example, if there’s a musician she likes that’s coming into town, she’ll email them and ask if she can sell merch for them at the show. This is how I discovered Ari Hest when he came through San Francisco a few years ago – my friend was going to sell merch for him, and asked if I could assist. And so, we got into the show for free, and I fell in love with some new music. Love.

P.s., speaking of, I realized that the title of yesterday’s blog should have been “Love, and Other Drugs,” while I was on my way walking to work. D’ah well.

The fun thing is another way of saying I can’t have where I’m at or not good enough where I’m at – when you’re financially secure, you can have fun. When you know what you’re doing in your life, you can laugh. Til then, head down, grindstone needs nosing.

Meh – that’s faulty logic and backwards thinking, and just plain sucky. There’s too much fun to be had. It’s back to my “quitting hiding” thing that I’m trying to do. The isolating doesn’t feed me. There’s plenty to do if I ask for help. Sure, my friend has a sixth sense, but talent for that can develop. I’d like to learn.

I’d also like to sleep. ;) So, this weekend, with my non-camping self, in and amongst my job applicationing (there’s one job I’m actually really hoping for - cross your fingers), I can get out, and be fun, have fun. Do something FUN.

Fun is not for people who want it, it’s for people who do it.

Word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment